top of page

How to Dispute Errors

Here are the steps that you need to take properly dispute errors on your credit report:

  1. Obtain your credit reports from each of the consumer reporting agencies or "CRAs" (Experian, Equifax and Transunion. Go here to learn how.

  2. Write a letter to each furnisher who has provided erroneous information to the CRAs. Be detailed, and provide any evidence you can of the error(s). The furnisher is not required to respond, butby doing this you have put them on notice that they erred in their reporting. When they letter receive a request for reinvestigation from the CRAs, they can't later say the didn't know the nature of your dispute(s), even if they were provided less information from the CRAs, because you have made sure that they have obtained a full explanation.

  3. Write a letters to each of the CRAs for the errors you find. We recommend that you keep your letters to 255 words or less. If you have to, write more than one letter so you cover all of the errors that you find with letters of 255 words or less.

  4. State in your letter to the CRAs specifically what is an error. Provide any supporting information that you can.

  5. You need to prepare the letter, not someone else. If you don't write the dispute letter, if they fail to correct the error, you may not hold them responsible for their failure to remove the error (i.e., there is no private right of action).

  6. Send the letters certified mail, return receipt requested, to each of the CRAs. We do not recommend electronic submissions, since obtaining proof of your dispute is difficult to document. Here are their respective addresses:

    • Equifax Information Services, LLC
      P.O. Box 740256
      Atlanta, GA 30348

    • Experian
      P.O. Box 4500
      Allen, TX 75013

    • Transunion Consumer Solutions
      P.O. Box 2000
      Chester, PA 19022-2000

  7. If the errors aren't correct after you have written them proper dispute letters, contact our office immediately. Provide us a copy of (a) those portions of your credit reports that are in dispute, (b) copies of your letters to the furnishers and the CRAs, and (c) their responses. Send them to, or fax them to 702-943-7520.

By following proper steps, you can maintain an action against violators of the Fair Credit Reporting Act when they fail to properly reinvestigate your dispute letters.

We are interested in pursuing both individual and class action lawsuits for violations of the FCRA. The FCRA provides for statutory attorney's fees and costs for these violations.

bottom of page